Tuesday 15 November 2011

Fashionably padded elbows at the ready...


A floral minidress, earrings and leggings by Versace for H&M 

Those in the know and anyone who generally reads a newspaper or likes a bit of a peek through a fashion magazine every now and then will know that H&M’s most exciting and long-awaited alliance to date is about to drop.

Yes, Versace’s collaboration with H&M finally hits UK stores this Thursday, 17 November. Founded by Donatella Versace’s late brother Gianni in 1978, Versace is one of the biggest-selling designer labels with 82 boutiques worldwide. After saying no to H&M’s approach for a collection 4 years ago, Donatella finally agreed. Apparently, Lady Gaga herself was the inspiration for the collection after Gaga’s excited reaction to the Versace archive earlier this year made Donatella view the designs through fresh eyes. Lucky Gaga.

I’ll be at a wedding on Thursday so won't be there to witness the madness that awaits H&M. No camping outside the store the night before for me, no need to hatch a cunning plan to ensure I’m first in the queue or whatever else you're supposed to do to bag yourself a piece of the action when luxury high-fashion designer meets high street champion. No sharpening of elbows or dusting off the sleeping bag required; I’ll just have to wait and see if there’s any thing left among the remnants after the hungry shoppers have finally departed. Failing that I’ll pop onto eBay.

Having seen the collection online a couple of weeks ago (which includes metallic, suede and fluorescent footwear, big and bold jewellery and even home accessories) and analysed it in more detail in all its splendour in today’s Grazia I'm totally in two minds.

Part of me absolutely adores it. The collection certainly has not been diluted for the high street. It’s all shouty studded leather, exuberant prints and bags adorned with chains and gold that to me conjures up images of the ebullient 90s. It slowly creeps up on you and shouts ‘FASHION!’ really loudly in your face which I love. 

Anna Dello Russo has already worn the studded leather dress at Paris Fashion Week:


Nicky Minaj, always brilliantly bonkers, wore head to toe black floral at the launch party in NYC:  


But, part of me is slightly unsure. The printed trousers no doubt look fabulous in Milan but seriously I'd feel like a bit of a twit in clashing exotic floral prints crammed on the Victoria line with someone's armpit in my face. The Silk Miami Print Dress is one of my favourites for sure, but it’s currently 7 degrees outside and the thought of flashing my legs in that makes me feel a bit hypothermic and want to grab a blanket.

Silk Miami Print Dress
Then again I've just read that back and I'm utterly ashamed to sound so staid and boring. The collection is fun, totally fashion-fabulous and brightens up the dreary world outside. How could you not smile wearing a piece of history that both you and your wallet are thankful for?

So, I’ll be missing the stampede but if anyone plans to queue up or sleep over on Thursday, could you please pick me up the  Studded Silk Shift, Miami Print Skirt and 
Black Silk Dress?



Please? Cheers.

See the full collection here:

No comments:

Post a Comment