Sunday 10 June 2012

I'm late, I'm late, for a very important....everything.

It's eight days since I returned to the UK from Australia/New Zealand and already I've failed miserably on two of my post-holiday resolutions: 1. Be on time. 2. Don't try to do everything in one day.

 

My husband and friends unanimously agree that I am shockingly and unfailingly late for pretty much everything. Alex says I run on NMT (Nicola-Mean-Time) a kind of inferior alternative to GMT if you like. Usually I would contest such blatant character defamation, but to be honest I have lost count of the amount of times I have been late for him. The worst case was when he flew 24 hours around the world to see me in Australia and I turned up at Sydney airport a whopping 45 minutes late. 'Where was my welcome?!' he always reminds me with a sad and disbelieving expression on his face. Guilty as charged. My excuse, genuinely, was that I didn't have a clue what to wear. I'd been up for 2 panic-stricken hours trying on, whisking off, throwing in the corner, trying on, trying not to panic, panicking. Style-indecision, plus a taxi drive in rush hour traffic, equalled no open arms to greet the man of my dreams, and I've never forgiven myself.

 

Other instances have included keeping friends waiting outside tube stations, in busy restaurants and bars, even being late for my own birthday celebrations. One of my good friends once kept me holding on for 45 minutes outside Covent Garden tube station where it is physically impossible to stand still without getting squished, handed an unwanted flyer or becoming an unsuspecting victim of somebody painted completely silver. She apologised but said this one instance had completely cancelled out the last six times I'd been late. She had a point.

 

I do not wish to appear flippant or nonchalant about my tardiness. In fact, I detest this terrible trait. There is, however, an explanation for my unpunctuality - it is simply caused by trying to squeeze too much in. If I haven't wedged a million and three things into a single day, I am not happy. If my to-do list isn't bulging, something's up.

 

Nothing too ambitious mind, just the usual. This week, I had an afternoon appointment in town so I filled the morning with stuff. Put a quick load of washing on, browsed some job sites, pinged off some emails and drafted a blog that had been clattering around loudly in my head. A quick peek at the time and I concluded there was just enough time to do One. More. Thing.

 

However, this was NMT I was operating on, not real time. Before I knew it, I was 45 minutes behind schedule and haring around wildly - a blast in the shower, a weird head-upside-down blow dry, and a spoon of peanut butter out of the jar for lunch as I darted out the door.

 

It really is quite unnecessary to be so frantic - it makes for a stressful journey when you inwardly will the tube driver to bypass all stations and floor it to Victoria ignoring all other passengers and their selfish travel needs. That afternoon, I found myself running wildly for my train, wanting to smack slow people in the back of the head for making me late (yes, it is their fault) and sliding through the train doors just as they beeped shut behind me. I fell exhausted into a chair, perspiring and cursing myself for all the commotion.

 

It's not a good way to be. I blame technology which allows us to multi task and encourages us with our fancy gadgets to achieve miracles and rearrange our finances all before breakfast. Every time I'm rushing to make an appointment or panting in a heap on a just-caught train, I vow to change. I will make clear, achievable lists. I will not over-plan. I will keep to time. In fact I will leave 15 minutes earlier than I actually need to - being, gasp, early. Ha ha, that'll show em!

 

Argh....must go. I've still got a wash to put out, a job to apply for and exactly 13 minutes to get my train.

 

2 comments:

  1. I have so missed your witty blog posts while you've been away, and this one made me giggle! I hate being late, and today it was me running about frantically trying to get two of us out the house, unfortunately something had to give - washing my hair, oh how I hate going out without washing my hair, but I put pigtails in and hoped no-one would notice! Well we couldn't be late for baby yoga could we???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Gem! I am going to try to put aside enough time to blog more frequently - have a ton of material and just need to do it! You are a very busy Mummy and probably have a trillion and one things to do a day, so I admire you just for getting out of the house!

    Baby yoga sounds delightful! Hope you enjoyed it x

    ReplyDelete